Sunday, October 7, 2012

What I do with my weekend...Fossils!

Hey kids!  I know you all have enjoyed a relaxing long weekend.  I know I have!  This weekend, I have been thinking about our upcoming science and social studies objectives.  We're going to be learning about some really interesting things.  I think my favorite part about coming to 4th grade has been science and social studies.

In science, we are still learning about ecosystems.  We're taking it a step further though to find out what makes ecosystems balanced, how ecosystems meet the needs of the organisms that live there and what things can affect the balance of an ecosystem.  I'm also super excited that we'll be learning more about fossils!  I know that a lot of you are interested in them as well.  I came across this website this afternoon about a group of paleontologists from our state.  They went on an expedition in Greene county looking for fossils.  You can read more about it here: Greene County Alabama: Fossils  This really makes me want to take a fossil-finding field trip.

In Alabama History, we will be learning more about Native American tribes from Alabama and how they interacted with European explorers like Hernando De Soto and Alonzo Alvarez de Pineda.  I know that all of you have some knowledge of DeSoto because of the caverns here close to our school.  However, I bet many of you will be surprised to learn that DeSoto wasn't nearly as "nice" as those picture make him out to be!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment